Help! My stove isn't working

Nov 8, 2018 - 2:00 PM

• So I did a deep clean on my Englander 10-CPM. Took the whole thing apart, and broke the fire brick. It started up and burned for a day and then it blew the E3 code. So I thought it was because I ran it without the fire brick. Bought the brick online replaced it and it's still doing the same thing. So... I replaced the heat sensor since it was still spitting the over heating code, but it's still doing the same thing. I've done the factory reset and have thoroughly cleaned everything. I start the stove and it looks like it's going through the motions with feeding pellets and the fan is blowing, but it never lights and then shuts down with an E3 code. The room blower is working properly and not clogged with dust. Anyone have any words of advice? I'm thinking a new control board, but I was speaking to a guy who fixes these things regularly and he told me to try to light it manually because he thinks it's the igniter. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

• Hello

If your problem is not caused by anything below and since you already replaced the heat sensor, then I suggest you replace the control board and get a good surge protector.
    10-CPM Control Board
    https://www.eastcoasthearth.com/products/englander-cpm-cb07-control-panel-circuit-board-10-cpm-49-shcpm-49-trcpm
    Surge Protector

https://www.eastcoasthearth.com/products/tripp-lite-ultrablok-isobar-surge-protector-suppressor-2-outlets-direct-plug-in-1410-joules

E-3: Over temperature limit: This unit has the ability to moderate itself
    should the unit attain too high a temperature. In some cases the unit will
    display an E-3 and go into a cool down sequence, in other cases the top
    auger will be interrupted until the unit has cooled enough that it deems
    itself safe to continue running.
    Common causes for E-3 codes (check these; more information is below
    this):

• Dirty stove: As ash builds in the unit, it slows down the flow of air through it; this allows more heat to build in the unit before the exhaust leaves the stove.
    • Plugged or inoperable room fan: The room fan (or convection blower) has a dual purpose. One is to blow heat out into the room, the other is to help keep the stove cool internally, by blowing room temperature air through the unit, which scrubs heat out of the stove and pushes it out the front of the unit. Over time, these fans tend to attract “dust bunnies” and especially pet hair. This debris clogs the inlet screens on the large units and builds up on the blades of the smaller ones; in both cases it reduces the airflow through the stove, which allows the internal temperatures to rise slowly until the unit exceeds the high limit and errors out. A bad room fan will rapidly allow the unit to reach overtemp and shut down, as well.
    • Wrong mode: The 25-PDVC / 55-SHP10 / 55-SHP10L / 55-TRP10 is run in the “D” mode; if it is set in “C” mode it can feed too much fuel in the high ranges and exceed temp. settings. Also, in lower or mid ranges, if the room fan is kept even with the heat range, the same can happen in C mode, as the feed rates are a bit faster in that mode.
    • Running the blower speed below the heat range: If the blower does not move enough air for the heat that the fire is making, the unit will error out as well.
    • Burning the wrong fuel in the stove: Pellet stoves are not “multifuel” stoves; they are designed to only burn wood pellets. Burning corn, grains, cherry pits, switch grass, or other fuels can result in higher temperatures and can damage the stove, as well as cause error codes. MORE Information Concerning E-2 Codes: A. Smaller pellets can feed through the system faster than normal-sized ones (about 1" long on average is a normal size for pellets). This happens because the smaller the pellets are, the more they will settle into the top auger at a time, which causes the unit to feed more fuel than normal in each feed setting. B. Running heat range higher than blower speed: The room air blower not only blows the heat into the room, but as it is doing so it also provides a cooling function to the unit internally. As room air is blown through the unit, it removes heat from it, thereby cooling the unit down. If not enough room air is moved through the unit, the heat then builds up inside the unit until over temp limit is reached.
  • Thank you so much for your help. I thought I would have to go that route.

Quick reply